Kew Palace is a regal building in Kew Gardens, situated on the banks of the River Thames. Originally a widespread complex, only a small number of elements have survived. Dating back to 1631, the palace was built in the undercroft of a previous structure and was last royally occupied between 1728 and 1818, with a final brief occupation in 1844.